Monday, September 22, 2014

Current Event 1

http://www.cnet.com/news/silicon-valley-talent-wars-engineers-come-get-your-250k-salary/

I found this article to be a very interesting change in the world of engineering that has the potential to gain some traction. In the triumph of the nerds series someone made the comment that during the computer revolution it was all the young people, who didn't already have steady jobs at big companies, that were leading the movement to personal computers. I think this concept is true for any field, it is always the people who feel like they don't have much to lose that innovate new things. The people who already had steady well paying jobs at IBM would not likely leave a secure place to take  a risk on something new. In this article the company, Weeby, is going to pay engineers much more than the current market rate. They hope to draw in many engineers and be able to take the brightest young minds. I think offering to pay this higher wage is their way of bringing more of these younger minds that haven't yet settled into a large steady corporation.

2 comments:

  1. It's cool to see a small company trying something different. Since they're so small (< 25 employees) I imagine they could do this, but large companies would have trouble implementing something similar. I imagine the current employees are making a similar amount or else they would probably get angry that the new employees are going to make more than them. I don't think money is the most important factor with jobs, but I think it certainly helps. If this gets weeby.co more publicity, maybe it's a success just in that right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's cool that there are young people and companies that come out of nowhere to start revolutions in the industry. It gives me hope for the future. Though many people say all the good ideas have been taken, they haven't. I think that we too will be able to have a great impact on the world in the future.

    ReplyDelete